Ledger stone covering the box tomb of Col. Charles W. Bulow.
Photo from the author’s collection at Flickr.
are deposited the remains of
Coln. CHARLES W. BULOW
of Charleston So. Ca.
who died on the 1st of May
aged 44 years.
A prominent native of Charleston, South Carolina, Bulow came to Florida during the transfer of government from Spain to the United States. He purchased more than 4,000 acres about 30 miles south of St. Augustine where he raised sugar cane, cotton, indigo and rice. He also owned a house on the bayfront in St. Augustine.
Col. Bulow did not get to enjoy watching his holdings grow and prosper because he died in 1823 (May 1st on his grave, but May 7th in his published obituary). His son, John, who was 17 and studying in Paris at the time of his father’s death, would take over the Florida enterprise and turn it into the largest sugar mill in east Florida. In 1836, the plantation was destroyed by Seminole Indians.
Today it is protected as Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park – part of Florida’s state park system.
Paddling Bulow Creek - digital sketch by the author
The Bulow Creek canoe trail is approximately 6½ miles long with three access points and is suitable for beginning paddlers. It begins at Bulow Plantation State Park and winds through the marshes and flats to the Intracoastal Waterway near High Bridge Road. There are three access points on the trail plus an additional 3½ mile trip upstream from from the ramp at the state park. Most of the trip is natural scenery with plenty of photo opportunities. To learn more, download the trail guide.
This narrow dirt road meanders more than a mile through the Florida scrub before it delivers you to the ruins of what was once Florida’s biggest sugar plantation. Destroyed by the Seminoles during Florida’s Indian Wars, Bulow Plantation is now a state park where visitors can walk through the ruins of the old sugar mill and paddle the creek enjoying Florida’s wild beauty.
Digital painting by the author.