St. Augustine National Cemetery

A view of the St. Augustine National Cemetery

A view of the St. Augustine National Cemetery

The cemetery adjacent to St. Francis Barracks in downtown St. Augustine served the military post here from towns early days as an American territory. The earliest burials were soldiers killed in the Florida Indian Wars. In 1881, this cemetery was designated the first National Cemetery in Florida. Although the cemetery size was expanded twice in the early 20th century, it is now closed to new interments. The superintendent’s lodge, shown here on the right side of the photo, was built in 1938.

Current Information

The St. Augustine National Cemetery is located at 104 Marine Street, St. Augustine, FL 32084. There is no information kiosk or onsite management personnel at this location. Information inquiries should be made to the Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell at 352-793-7740 or fax 352-793-9560. The cemetery is open daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. You can search for burial locations for veterans and their family members online at the VA National Gravesite Locator.

References: