Do you have a mobile phone with a camera? If so, with the addition of one of the apps mentioned below, your phone can easily become a scanner. Not only can you capture the document’s image, these apps will convert it into a searchable PDF – meaning you can find specific words within the text – and upload it to cloud storage, email it and more. And, many of these apps can capture multiple pages – keeping them all together in one PDF document. Continue reading “Portable Scanning”
Apple is releasing iOS 10 on Tuesday. It has a number of interesting new features. I’m looking forward to the updates in Messages including features like handwriting, stickers and animations. Siri and Messages both will now work in some of my favorite apps too. Photos can search for object in pictures – like dogs, boats or beaches. I can’t wait to see the new features for presenting photos.…
Apple is releasing iOS 10 on Tuesday. It has a number of interesting new features. I’m looking forward to the updates in Messages including features like handwriting, stickers and animations. Siri and Messages both will now work in some of my favorite apps too. Photos can search for object in pictures – like dogs, boats or beaches. I can’t wait to see the new features for presenting photos.
Before installing the update, make sure you have a complete backup of your device – just in case . . . There are two backup methods – iCloud and iTunes. The iTunes backup stores your backed up files on your desktop computer while iCloud backup stores them in your iCloud account. iCloud backup files are always encrypted. You choose whether you want to encrypt an iTunes backup. You need to be plugged into your computer to perform a backup or restore via iTunes while iCloud backup/restore can happen anywhere you have a WiFi connection.
You may also want to check the amount of available space on your device. In the Settings app, go to General > Storage & iCloud Storage. If the available storage is low you have two options – either update via iTunes or make space by removing some apps using the Manage Storage feature. You can delete some of your apps here. They can always be reinstalled later from the Purchased section of the App Store.
Here’s how to perform an iCloud backup . . .
- Make sure you have a WiFi connection.
- Open the Settings app and tap iCloud.
- Scroll down until you see the Backup item and tap it.
- If you have iCloud Backup turned on, it will automatically perform a daily backup as long as the phone is plugged into the charger, locked and connected to WiFi.
- You can also peform a backup at any time by tapping Back Up Now.
Note that iCloud backup does not backup things that are already saved to iCloud. This includes things like your contacts, bookmarks and mail messages.
How to perform an iTunes backup . . .
- Open the iTunes app on your desktop and connect your iPhone or iPad.
- Select your device when it appears in the iTunes app.
- iTunes will display a screen with a panel showing information about your device and below that a panel for backups. You can choose to set up automatic backups or click on Back Up Now to perform a manual backup. This panel also displays when the last backup was completed.
- With iTunes backup, you can choose whether you want to encrypt your backup. Note that encryption is required if you are saving Health and Activity data in your backup.
Once your backup is complete, you will be ready to upgrade the operating system. Once again, make sure your device is plugged into power and has a WiFi Internet connection.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap the General item and when that open, tap Software Update.
- It may take a few seconds for the screen to display the new iOS version, but once it does appear, you will see a Download and Install item just below it. Tap that.
- You will be presented with options to Install now, Later or Install Tonight. If you choose Install Tonight, make sure your devices is plugged into power and leave it. It will update automatically and be waiting for you in the morning.
- If you have assigned a passcode for your device, you will be asked to enter it.
You can also use iTunes to perform a backup. This is useful if you don’t have access to WiFi. Open iTunes, connect your device then open the Summary screen. You’ll see the update button on that screen.
Do you have an iPhone or Android phone with a camera? If so, with the addition of one of the apps mentioned below, your phone is now also a portable scanner. I have an Android phone and am using the CamScanner app mentioned here. Not only does it capture the document’s image, it converts it into a searchable PDF – meaning I can find specific words within the text – and lets me upload it to my…
This week Flickr released an updated iPhone app making it easy to capture, edit and share your photos. Once you’ve taken a photo, you can edit, crop and enhance the image then upload it to Flickr – adding it to groups or sets and even tagging people in the photo. You can upload an unlimited number of photos to your account using the app – preserving the quality and resolution of the original…